Pumpkin seeds are the only seeds that are alkaline-forming.
In this world of highly acidic diets, that is a very good thing.
10 Healthy Substances that Pumpkin seeds contain:
1. L-tryptophan: Tryptophan is eventually converted by the body into melatonin, the “sleep hormone.” Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of this ?-amino acid, and eating a handful with a carbohydrate a few hours before bed helps promote a restful sleep, which helps promote sleep and fight depression.
2. Zinc: One ounce of pumpkin seeds contains over 2 mg of zinc. This mineral is essential in boosting immunity, regulating insulin, and growing and dividing of cells, to name some. Zinc deficiency is quite common even though only small amounts are needed.
2. Phytosterols: The compounds have been shown to reduce levels of LDL cholesterol.
3. Magnesium: Magnesium is a heart-healthy mineral, aiding in the proper pumping of your heart and relaxation of blood vessels which helps lower blood pressure as well as your risk of heart attack and stroke. Magnesium deficiency is also common to most of us these days. Half a cup of pumpkin seeds already contains nearly the recommended daily amount of magnesium.
4. Lots of vitamin K and Vit. E, both so important for health in general as well as supporting major antioxidant benefits of other healing nutrients.
5. Many minerals including phosphorus, manganese, iron and copper. Also an excellent source of vitamin B group (thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B-6 and folates),
6. Omega-3 fatty acids: Pumpkin seeds, along with raw nuts and other seeds, are among the best sources of plant-based omega-3s – especially important for those not using any type of fish-derived oil.
7. Contain substances that prevent calcium oxalate kidney stone formation. This is especially helpful since many health conscious people are eating a lot of spinach and kale which actually promote calcium oxalate formation.
8. Anti-inflammatory benefits that counter inflammation and counter arthritis pain without the side effects of anti-inflammatory drugs.
9. Natural anti-parasitics against tapeworms and other parasites.
10. Oil that helps alleviates difficult urination when dealing with an enlarged prostate.
Roast or dehydrate your pumpkin seeds!