The Budwig diet was developed by a German biochemist, Johanna Budwig, in the 1950s.
The Budwig diet involves eating flaxseed oil mixed with cottage cheese or milk. Johanna Budwig believed that the oil could stop cancers growing.
Flax is a plant grown in many parts of the world. Pressing its seeds produces linseed oil to use in cooking or as a food supplement. The seeds contain high levels of fibre and many vitamins and minerals.
As well as flaxseed and cottage cheese, the Budwig diet is rich in fruit, vegetables and fibre. Things to avoid include: sugar, meat, and fats such as butter, margarine and some oil.
Budwig Diet Flaxseed Oil and Cottage Cheese (FOCC) or Quark Recipe:
This is the dietary protocol from the 1950s that uses high-‐grade flax seed oil and organic cottage cheese among other dietary recommendations and restrictions to powerful exploit cancer’s weaknesses while strengthening healthy cells. Dr. Johanna Budwig was a qualified pharmacologist, chemist and physicist with a doctorate in physics who worked as the chief expert consultant for drugs and fats for the German government. The directions to make the well-known and documented smoothie or Muesli are below. It is simply a food combination that many people self-administer on a daily basis (typically 2 times a day when actively fighting cancer and once a day preventatively). It can be used with almost every other type of treatment protocol (except Protocel) but you should check with your healthcare provider. Below is the recipe you will find at the clinic where Dr. Budwig worked.
Generally, each tablespoon of Flaxseed Oil (FO) is blended with 2 or more tablespoons of low-‐fat organic Cottage Cheese (CC) or quark.
Note: Whenever tablespoons are mentioned; it is the standard US tablespoon, which is the equivalent of the British “dessert” spoon.
1. Blend 3 Tablespoons of flaxseed oil (FO) with 6 Tablespoons low‐fat (less than 2%) Quark or Cottage Cheese (CC) with a hand‐held immersion electric blender for up to a minute
2. If the mixture is too thick and/or the oil does not disappear, you may need to add 2 or 3 tablespoons of milk (goat milk would be the best option).
3. Do not add water or juices when blending FO with CC or quark. The mixture should be like rich whipped cream with no separated oil.
4. Remember you must mix ONLY the FO and CC and nothing else at first. Always use organic food products when possible.
5. Once the FO and CC are well mixed, grind 2 tablespoons of whole flaxseeds and add to the mixture. Please note that freshly ground flaxseeds must be used within 20 minutes after being ground or they will become rancid. Therefore do not grind up flaxseeds ahead of time and store.
*Addendum to Budwig protocol
In the decades since Johanna Budwig introduced this protocol, the number of toxins in our environments and bodies has significantly increased while the quality of nutrition in even our healthy foods has significantly decreased. Dr. Josh Axe, well-known integrative chiropractic physician has suggested updating the Budwig protocol to make it more aligned with 21st century challenges.
The updated formula:
6 ounces cultured dairy (cottage cheese, goat’s milk kefir or amasai
4 tablespoons sprouted and ground chia or flax
1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
The preparation would still be the same as in the original formula in that you must initially mix ONLY the FO and the sulfured protein (cottage cheese or goat’s milk kefir or amasai) together before adding the rest. Again refer to the steps outlined in the original formula.
The original formula will still have its powerful effect. These upgrades will make it more powerful.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have.