Perhaps you’ve already heard me say that, given the right conditions, our bodies are designed to regenerate and heal. Frequent toxic chemical exposure is not one of those desired conditions.
How many carcinogens does it take before we develop (or re-develop) cancer, liver disease or any number of chronic illnesses? No one knows the answer but in a world filled with more unavoidable toxins than ever before, shouldn’t our governmental agencies help protect us from the avoidable ones?
While the European Commission only approves chemicals for consumer products after they have been proven safe, the FDA will only prohibit the use of untested chemicals after enough consumer complaints prompt research that links the product to dangerous health effects. The EWG (environmental working group) found that less than 10% of the 100,000 chemicals used in cleaning products have been tested for human safety.
Chlorine bleach is one of example of a widely used toxin. If you are using chlorine bleach as a disinfectant, you are opening yourself up (and your family) to unnecessary health risks. By itself, chlorine bleach has been linked to respiratory conditions such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). But this gets compounded by our tendency to mix various commercial cleaning products together. For instance, mixing bleach with an ammonia-based product produces a toxic chloramine gas, exposure to which may trigger chest pain, wheezing, shortness of breath and pneumonia. Ammonia, as a cleaning agent, is commonly found in glass and window cleaners or interior and exterior paints.
Another (common) strong toxic reaction occurs when bleach is combined with an acid-based cleaner such as vinegar, drain and toilet bowl cleaners, or automatic dishwasher detergents. These duos produces chlorine gas, which when combined with water will make hydrochloric and hypochlorous acids. Even low levels for a short time will result in irritation to your eyes, nose and throat. Higher-level exposure will result in chest pain, vomiting, breathing difficulty and chemical-induced pneumonia. And if bleach is combined with rubbing alcohol gasses are produced that can damage your nervous system, eys, lungs, kidney and liver. This is why hospital workers who are constantly exposed to high levels of disinfectants have more respiratory and nervous system disorders than their counterparts who don’t have the same exposure. Hospital workers don’t have a lot of choice about the chemicals they are exposed to. But you do.
The takeaway here is these chemicals are dangerous and that dangers in the use of over-the-counter cleaners are multiplied greatly when mixing together. And big brother does not have our back on this one.
Fortunately, there is an easy solution. You can make your own household cleaners using non-toxic ingredients. And not only will they be safe, they will be very effective and very easy on your wallet. Big brother may not have your back but Mother Nature does!
My next post will offer four of my favorite cleaning recipes. They are so safe, you could drink them (assuming you use certified pure therapeutic grade oils like I do). They wouldn’t taste good — but they won’t harm you, and the oils would actually boost your immune function! But rather than drinking your cleaning products, contact me if you want to learn how to use essential oils to help your body fight and clear up infections and promote health in so many ways.