AVOCADOS…Why So Good For You?May 5, 2017
Key Healing Factors Cancer Survivors Have in Common…May 19, 2017
High Fructose Corn Syrup is made from an enzymatic breakdown of cornstarch molecules into smaller substances, which are used as a food thickener and / or sweetener.
The tragic part is that, overall, the food industry’s purpose does not include protecting our health and that of our families. The food industry likes it because HFCS is cheap to make and effective for their purposes.
Here are five things you should know to further help you in making informed decisions about the food you choose for yourself and your family. And if you are dealing with cancer or some other debilitating illness, you will find that eating foods filled with HFCS is literally making your food your poison instead of your medicine.
- High fructose corn syrup is found in almost all commercially produced foods— even some foods you wouldn’t think of, like prepared soups, commercial breads and prepared meat products. This is why your consumption of sugar may be very high even if you avoid most sweets. Because most people eat processed foods for many of their meals – even those prepared at home, our consumption of HFC has gone up 1000% from 1970-1999. I suspect its even higher now. Most Americans eat about 50gms (10 teaspoons) a day.
- If you drink soda pop, your intake of HFCS is even higher since it is used to sweeten commercial soft drinks to the tune of 15 teaspoons of HFCS in one 20 ounce serving of soda. (And drinking diet soda is not the answer since the artificial sweeteners are known neurotoxins and carcinogens.)
- Almost all High Fructose Corn Syrup is made from genetically modified (GMO) corn. All GMO foods have been linked to major problems with gut health, brain health, breast cancer, autism, and more.
- HFCS contains mercury, which is used in the chemical process of separating cornstarch from the corn husk , a necessary step in creating HFCS. Since mercury toxicity is so prevalent already, this additional ongoing accumulation of mercury is an unnecessary hazard. There is so much mercury exposure we are hard pressed to avoid. But here we have a choice. There is no safe level of mercury known for human health.
- The corn refineries are reputed to have spent fifty trillion dollars trying to tell us that corn sugar is a safe alternative to HFCS. The problem is that corn sugar IS high fructose corn syrup with a new name.
Information creates informed, empowered choices.
Please make an informed choice about HFCS and support your health and that of your family.